I have used my own CMS for about a year now, but last week, when I installed WordPress for my girlfriends homepage, I was kind of fascinated by its features. Although WordPress has no multilangual support out-of-the-box, but there was a plugin which made it possible. It’s called Polygot and allows the usage of multiple languages. Because WordPress is W3C conform by default, I decided to do the same with my design.
Afters hours of trying and fighting (especially with the IE box model bug), I found a way to realize this full height 2 column design with header and footer to work with Firefox, Opera and Internet Explorer (5.5, 6.0 and 7.0). So now, I am proud to be able to put the “W3C Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Logo” on my page.
After finishing the design, I started to work with Polygot. It’s not very intuitive, so it took me a day to figure it out how to get it completely working. Date Strings weren’t translated, and WordPress itself didn’t set the filter for “single_cat_title”, which broke the design with the long language string. So I needed to hack my way through. Now, all that is left is to translate everything. Because this is a long process, I’ll be doing it over time. So if you find something untranslated, please tell me. Thanks!